Humanities and Social Sciences
Get in touch with us!
Need More Information About Our SHS Programs? Fill-up the form below and we’ll get back to you within 24 Hours
Overview of the HUMSS Strand
The HUMSS strand in senior high school is designed to effectively prepare students who seek to pursue a college degree in liberal education. HUMSS courses cover a variety of subjects, looking at the world and its people from various points of view. The learning activities are directed towards the development of critical thinking.
HUMSS also focuses on developing your oral communication, media and information, and will hone your skills in reading and writing to a professional level. Because the HUMSS strand is intended for those who wish to explore careers in social sciences, this strand will involve a lot of research and presentation, making it a good preparation for their future careers as journalists, lawyers, teachers, politicians, writers, and psychologists.
The Objectives of the HUMSS Strand
The HUMSS strand curriculum was developed to equip senior high school students looking to pursue more sociological and artistic careers in their future with the necessary skills and confidence. Students enrolled in HUMSS strand courses can expect to:
- Acquire the appropriate mindset and theorems for understanding the psyche and behavior of people across different backgrounds
- Build their confidence in articulating their various ideas and expressing themselves through both written and spoken language in both scholarly and secular work
- Provide them with the means to gaining the necessary rapport with their future patients, clients, audiences, and other stakeholders depending on their profession of choice.
At OEd, we wish to equip our students to communicate articulately, think critically, and exercise sensitivity and empathy in their professional endeavors.
Advantages of the HUMSS Strand
The HUMSS strand shapes senior high school students with the necessary skills and knowledge on humanities and social sciences like psychology, sociology, and more. Our students reap the benefits of a HUMSS strand by developing skills like communication, open-mindedness, and a good understanding of the sociological and cultural nuances of the world around them. From there, they can examine and analyze how these shape and mold society’s ideas and ideologies in media, art, politics, and more. The senior high school HUMSS strand equips students with additional benefits, including:
- Instilling values of empathy and understanding, which are essential traits for establishing the rapport required to pursue a successful career in professions available to HUMSS strand graduates.
- Promotes a sense of confidence in voicing out one’s opinions and ideas in an articulate, logical, and concise manner through the various projects and tasks in the different HUMSS courses.
- Opens up a world of job opportunities, as HUMSS strand graduates can find many applications and areas for potential career development in various industries, including scientific, artistic, legislative, and corporate careers.
Possible College Courses for HUMSS
The HUMSS strand prepares students for a number of college courses. Here are some of the HUMSS courses in college students can pursue.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology – Bachelor of Arts in Psychology exposes students to several fields in psychology including abnormal, physiological, and development psychology. AB Psychology requires a lot of research and hands-on activities as training for future careers such as counselors, social workers, and therapists.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology – Bachelor of Science in Psychology revolves around human sexuality, gender, child and adult psychology, and personality theory. Unlike the AB Psychology course, the BS Psychology course focuses more on biology and chemistry. The BS Psychology course can serve as a pre-medicine course.
- Bachelor of Science in Technical Communication – The Bachelor of Science in Technical Communication program puts an emphasis on helping others understand valuable information and teaches communication knowledge. This program teaches students to turn detailed data into actionable information.
- Bachelor of Science in Education Technology – Students of the Bachelor of Science in Education Technology program will learn about general education, interactive media, educational psychology, and transformational learning.
Possible Career Paths with the HUMSS Strand
Students enrolled in the HUMMS strand in senior high school can make meaningful contributions to their workplace and community in the following professions:
- College Professors