TVL – Information and Communication Technology (ICT Strand)
Overview of the ICT Strand
Information Communication and Technology or ICT Strand is one of the strands offered under Technical-Vocational Livelihood (TVL) Track of K-12 curriculum. ICT strand subjects seek to teach students concepts and skills in information technology.
ICT in Senior High School equips students with the skills and knowledge they need to qualify for TESDA-backed certifications such as the Certificate of Competency (COC) and National Certifications (NC). These ICT strand courses ensure that TVL track graduates of the ICT strand in SHS can apply for IT jobs straight out of high school.
The Objectives of taking the ICT Strand in Senior High School
The ICT strand in SHS is designed to equip senior high school students with the necessary technical skills to tackle the IT industry. Graduates are expected to be able to do the following after receiving their education:
- Utilize industry standard equipment and to think critically and solve problems involving software, hardware, and other digital domains
- Be confident and familiar with standard tech and software necessary to carry out tasks expected of them in order to contribute meaningfully to their respective teams
- To apply knowledge acquired from their ICT strand subjects with decisiveness and experience when pursuing further education or applying oneself in a profession fresh out of senior high school
Advantages of the ICT Strand
Enrolling in the ICT strand for SHS gives senior high school graduates valuable knowledge that enables them to either dive immediately into technical professions befitting their interests and specializations, or to pursue further studies aligned with their track. Here are some valuable advantages students can gain from the ICT strand subjects in Grade 11 and the ICT strand subjects in Grade 12:
- Graduates can confidently jump into the path of their choosing knowing that their track has given them ample preparation — whether they want to build specializations by taking up further studies or they wish to begin working as soon as possible
- Senior high school students in this track receive valuable experience in practical applications of their knowledge which they can maximize in both solo and team projects, shaping them valuable members of any workplace
- Students can build a better appreciation of the advancing technology of today, while being exposed to opportunities that encourage them to think about how they can safeguard and contribute to one of the world’s most dynamic industries.
Possible ICT Strand Courses You Can Take in College
- Computer Engineering – Computer Engineering is a branch of engineering that weaves together computer sciences and electronic engineering in order to develop computer hardware and software.
- Information Technology – Information Technology focuses on information science and is similar to computer science. Unlike the former, students do not create the hardware and software but rather, learn how to apply these innovations in real-world scenarios.
- Software and Network Engineering – Software and Network Engineering revolves around the systematic development and application of software and network applications including browsers and mobile applications.
- Multimedia Arts – Multimedia Arts is another course under the ICT strand. It teaches how to manipulate various art forms including text, graphics, sound, animation, graphics, and videos in order to create fresh designs. Multimedia artists can find work in advertising, the entertainment industry, or fine arts.
- Digital Illustration and Animation – Digital Illustration and Animation engages students to create meaningful and thought-provoking content. It piques their imagination and encourages them to bring to life their creativity through storytelling, illustration, and 2D animation.
- Graphic Arts – Graphic Arts is centered around motion graphics, animation, design theory, project management, and digital effects. Graduates of this program can successfully enter advertising, entertainment, business, and fine arts fields.
Possible Career Paths with ICT Strand
Students enrolled in the ICT strand in senior high school can find fulfilling and successful careers in the following professions
- Web Developers
- Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Online Sales Agent
- Radio Technician
- Tech Specialist
- IT Sales Representatives
- BPO officers
Explore the Information and Communications Technology Curriculum
The ICT strand subjects in Grade 11 and the ICT subjects in Grade 12 are designed to equip students with both the technical expertise expected of professionals in their field by way of their classes in technologies, programming, and media information literacy. They will also be equipped with important skills, such as communication, reading and writing, and basic mathematics, that will prove integral to any workplace. Finally, ICT graduates will also be given a variety of major subjects dealing with art, for the flexibility to utilize their track for more creative applications. Explore the ICT strand for a professional level of creative and technical know-how in all things digital that is workforce-ready!