TVL – Information and Communication Technology (ICT Strand)
Overview of the ICT Strand
Information Communication and Technology or ICT Strand is one of the strands offered under Technical-Vocational Livelihood (TVL) Track of K-12 curriculum. ICT strand subjects seek to teach students concepts and skills in information technology.
ICT in Senior High School equips students with the skills and knowledge they need to qualify for TESDA-backed certifications such as the Certificate of Competency (COC) and National Certifications (NC). These ICT strand courses ensure that TVL track graduates of the ICT strand in SHS can apply for IT jobs straight out of high school.
The Objectives of taking the ICT Strand in Senior High School
The ICT strand in SHS is designed to equip senior high school students with the necessary technical skills to tackle the IT industry. Graduates are expected to be able to do the following after receiving their education:
- Utilize industry standard equipment and to think critically and solve problems involving software, hardware, and other digital domains
- Be confident and familiar with standard tech and software necessary to carry out tasks expected of them in order to contribute meaningfully to their respective teams
- To apply their knowledge with decisiveness and experience when pursuing further education or applying oneself in a profession fresh out of senior high school
Advantages of the ICT Strand
Enrolling in the ICT strand for SHS gives senior high school graduates valuable knowledge that enables them to either dive immediately into technical professions befitting their interests and specializations, or to pursue further studies aligned with their track. Here are some valuable advantages of pursuing the ICT strand in SHS:
- Graduates can confidently jump into the path of their choosing knowing that their track has given them ample preparation — whether they want to build specializations by taking up further studies or they wish to begin working as soon as possible
- Senior high school students in this track receive valuable experience in practical applications of their knowledge which they can maximize in both solo and team projects, shaping them valuable members of any workplace
- Students can build a better appreciation of the advancing technology of today, while being exposed to opportunities that encourage them to think about how they can safeguard and contribute to one of the world’s most dynamic industries.
Possible ICT Strand Courses You Can Take in College
- Computer Engineering – Computer Engineering is a branch of engineering that weaves together computer sciences and electronic engineering in order to develop computer hardware and software.
- Information Technology – Information Technology focuses on information science and is similar to computer science. Unlike the former, students do not create the hardware and software but rather, learn how to apply these innovations in real-world scenarios.
- Software and Network Engineering – Software and Network Engineering revolves around the systematic development and application of software and network applications including browsers and mobile applications.
- Multimedia Arts – Multimedia Arts is another course under the ICT strand. It teaches how to manipulate various art forms including text, graphics, sound, animation, graphics, and videos in order to create fresh designs. Multimedia artists can find work in advertising, the entertainment industry, or fine arts.
- Digital Illustration and Animation – Digital Illustration and Animation engages students to create meaningful and thought-provoking content. It piques their imagination and encourages them to bring to life their creativity through storytelling, illustration, and 2D animation.
- Graphic Arts – Graphic Arts is centered around motion graphics, animation, design theory, project management, and digital effects. Graduates of this program can successfully enter advertising, entertainment, business, and fine arts fields.
Possible Career Paths with ICT Strand
Students enrolled in the ICT strand in senior high school can find fulfilling and successful careers in the following professions
- Web Developers
- Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Online Sales Agent
- Radio Technician
- Tech Specialist
- IT Sales Representatives
- BPO officers
Explore the Information and Communications Technology Curriculum
The ICT strand curriculum is built to equip students with both the technical expertise expected of professionals in their field by way of their classes in technologies, programming, and media information literacy. They will also be equipped with important skills, such as communication, reading and writing, and basic mathematics, that will prove integral to any workplace. Finally, ICT graduates will also be given a variety of major subjects dealing with art, for the flexibility to utilize their track for more creative applications. Explore the ICT strand for a professional level of creative and technical know-how in all things digital that is workforce-ready!
The ICT strand is a versatile option for SHS students that have a passion for digital technology, art, and programming. Students in this strand will have the option to immediately join the workforce or pursue further studies for their specialization.
If you are passionate about exploring various digital platforms and have a natural curiosity for technology, programming, and even digital creatives, then ICT is a strand that combines all three. With a threefold curriculum built on technical knowhow, creativity, and well-roundedness, students can expect to be prepped for the workplace or to have an edge in their future studies.
ICT students can look forward to fulfilling and fruitful entry-level careers as programmers, web and graphic designers, online and IT sales, and BPO officers! All these and many more lie in wait for graduates of this strand.
Choosing the ICT Strand in SHS will open up unique employment opportunities very early in the lives of the students. Enabling senior high school students to choose between starting to work fresh off graduating senior high and going headfirst into careers that allow them to learn directly from experience. On the other hand, senior high school students that do choose to go into college courses after finishing their track can expect to have a competitive edge and an easier time with their further studies in related fields.
At OEd, we believe that all students deserve a shot at quality education! We do not require an entrance exam for enrollment, but we do have a list of requirements that must be submitted in order to pursue the ICT strand, and other tracks available in our curriculum.
OEd SHS requires successful online registration and important documents from Grade 10 Records. We also require an NSO Birth Certificate, and a Form 137 directly coursed to us by your previous learning institution. Learn more in our SHS Application FAQs page!
The yearly tuition fee for students enrolling in ICT for senior high is 32,000 pesos — the same for all our strands here at OEd. Receive quality education, with no miscellaneous fees aside from 1,000 pesos every term. Payment can be settled online over accredited payment channels, or OTC.