What is the Strand for Entrepreneurship in Senior High School?
If you’re looking to pursue a career in business, it’s ideal to take the strand for entrepreneurship in senior high school. Why? Because it’s a great steppingstone as you pursue further education in various business courses in college.
You may be wondering if there’s a specific strand dedicated to entrepreneurship and the short answer is: Yes. The Accountancy, Business, and Management (ABM) strand is available for senior high school students who want to take business-related courses like business management, finance, and other ABM college courses.
In this article, we’re going to be talking about why the ABM strand is suitable for entrepreneurship, its advantages for business-related courses, and the career opportunities available to you after college.
But before we go into the entrepreneurship strand in senior high school, let us first define what entrepreneurship is.
What is Entrepreneurship?
In the world of business, entrepreneurship embodies innovation, risk-taking, and the pursuit of opportunities. It aims to create, develop, and manage a new or existing business venture to take them to new heights and maximize its profitability.
The entrepreneurial mindset goes beyond business ownership. Being a successful entrepreneur means that you have to possess the ability to identify and seize opportunities, coupled with the willingness and wisdom to take calculated risks.
Regardless of which industry they operate in, the goal of entrepreneurs is to turn their vision into a tangible business that creates value for their consumers.
So, Why Take the ABM Strand for Entrepreneurship?
Being an entrepreneur seems easy in retrospect, but really, it’s a lot more difficult than one might think. Starting a business is one thing, but being able to sustain the business and grow it into something more takes a lot of strategic planning.
So, where does the Accountancy, Business, and Management strand stand in all of this? It all lies in the curriculum that the ABM strand offers for senior high school students.
While all the other strands offer basics in business management and entrepreneurship, the ABM strand offers more comprehensive, relevant business classes like:
- Business management
- Organization Management
- Business Math
- Business Ethics
To further understand, here are brief descriptions of each SHS academic strand and the classes they offer:
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Strand: The classes in the STEM curriculum mostly tackle topics in Math and Science, which is why this strand is ideal for those who want to pursue engineering or medicine.
- Humanities and Social Sciences (HUMSS) Strand: This strand offers more classes that tackle the social sciences, communication, literature, and politics. So, if the profession you want to pursue is in law or psychology, this track is ideal.
- General Academic Strand (GAS): As its name suggests, this strand offers general subjects that combine a few specialty courses from all the other strands. This track is recommended if you are still undecided on which course to take in college and want to keep your options open as you choose.
- Technical-Vocational-Livelihood (TVL) Strand: If you intend to work right after senior high, then you should take the TVL strand. After finishing this track, you will be given government certifications and the authority to work without the need for further education.
Keep in mind that the TVL certifications available depend on which institution you’re attending for senior high school. In OEd SHS, we offer TVL classes specific to a career in Information Communication and Technology. So, if you want to pursue a career in computer programming or web development right after senior high, then our curriculum would work best for you.
As you can see in the list, each strand has its own specialty and caters to the learnings needed in specific courses for college. And while the courses offered are introductory classes, these are still highly useful to you, especially when you take further education.
Specific to the ABM strand, the classes in this track will give you an advantage as you move on to collegiate-level studies in your chosen business course. Accomplishing the ABM strand’s curriculum will give you an idea of what to expect from your course and will train your mind to be business oriented.
Why Should You Take the Senior High School Strand for Entrepreneurship?
Choosing a profession as an entrepreneur has its own benefits and could be an enriching path for you to take. After all, having your own business has its perks and you’re sure to learn a lot of business-related skills and life skills just by putting up your own company.
A few of the advantages of being an entrepreneur are:
- Having personal fulfillment by building your ideas and passions from scratch and transforming it into something real.
- There’s a big opportunity for financial independence since successful entrepreneurs can create wealth and build sustainable businesses. Instead of relying on a fixed salary, you can have an unlimited number of income streams and reap its benefits.
- If you pursue a life of an entrepreneur, you have the ability to design your own work-life balance. You can set your own schedule and pursue other hobbies while aligning them with work and personal priorities. You hold your own schedule and are free to go about your day as you please.
So, with all that being said, taking the ABM strand in senior high school will jumpstart your career as a future entrepreneur.
In general, the ABM strand’s curriculum will teach you skills necessary for a career in the business industry like:
- Business Planning
This will teach you how to create comprehensive business plans, which is essential in starting a company. You will learn how to identify market opportunities, develop a product or service, create a marketing plan, and determine financial projections.
Learning the basic principles of marketing will be the key to finding your target consumers and learning how to properly engage with them. This will be a great tool to use as you start your business plan and sustain your brand.
- Financial Management
You will learn how to manage the financial aspects of a business including budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis. These elements are necessary to determine whether your business has the capability to operate and succeed.
- Operations Management
This will teach you how businesses manage day-to-day operations including production, inventory management, and quality control.
As future entrepreneurs, you will learn how to identify opportunities for innovation and develop your own products and services. Being able to pinpoint which business ventures have potential will be a great asset that you can use for future success.
Once you’re equipped with the basics of these skills, you will be ready to embark on your collegiate studies where you will be able to hone them even more. Taking the entrepreneurship strand in senior high school will prepare and give you an idea of what a career in business entails.
Possible Careers to Pursue After Finishing the SHS Strand for Entrepreneurship
Taking the ABM strand for entrepreneurship opens a lot of career opportunities that you can look into as soon as you’re through with your tertiary studies.
The professions that are available include, but are not limited to:
- Business Manager
- Business Consultant
- Entrepreneurial Educator
Of course, there are also other ABM strand jobs available if you decide to pursue another branch of business as your profession. You don’t have to worry about whether you can apply your learnings from the ABM track as this is still applicable even if you pursue another branch of business to major in.
Completing the Entrepreneurship Strand in Senior High School with OEd SHS
Now that you know which senior high school strand to take for entrepreneurship, pursue your education with us!
Ever since the lockdowns, we have grown accustomed to the convenience of learning remotely. And while there are many schools in the Philippines offering online education, here at OEd Senior High School, we can ensure that you will be receiving high-quality education with our affordable online courses.
Get in touch with us today to learn more about our course offerings!